Pura Vida Challenge
Your Premier Freediving Competition in Costa Rica
Save The Date: January 25th - 28th, 2024
This competition is for any certified freediver. Whether your looking for your first competition experience or you have competed before. The goal is to create a safe environment for everyone to compete.
We couldn't manage to make this amazing competition happen without the support of local businesses and the freediving community. You can help sponsor the competition and add to the unique experience we can offer together.
Marina Pez Vela is a fantastic venue located just outside of Quepos, Costa Rica. They host numerous sport fishing tournaments, triathlons, cycling racing, and now the Pura Vida Challenge. It’s home to many charter boats, restaurants, villas, shops, and guest services.
The Dive Spot
A short boat right just a couple miles off the coast in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We picked the best and most consistent times to provide warm and clear waters.
Surface water temp: 30C
Depth water temp: ~26C
Surface Visibility: 20 -30m
3 Day Competition & 3 Disciplines
Become the champion by scoring the highest combine score across all 3 disciplines
Constant Weight Bi-Fins (CTWB)
Constant Weight No Fins (CNF)
Free Immersion (FIM)
- The competition will follow AIDA standards at all times
- Every diver will be accompanied by at least 1 safety diver on every day. Even warm-ups
- A safety lanyard will be worn on every dive by the athlete
- There will be 2 AIDA judges on the competition line
- You must complete the AIDA surface protocol for the dive to be valid
- You must retrieve a tag from the bottom plate
- There are 3 disciplines and 3 days – CTWB, FIM, CNF
- There will be an overall champion for male and female athletes
- There will be a camera recording the bottom plate to ensure proper constant weight rules
- You must announce your dive the day before by 5pm
- Max depth 90m